If you are thinking of applying for a teacher training course, you will need to take the numeracy and literacy skills tests as part of the application process, and ensure you have passed them both before the start of the course.
Find out more and practise for the skills tests
The first attempt at taking your skills tests in each subject is provided free of charge. You can book up to two resits if required, but you will be expected to pay for these yourself.
Some candidates may be able to request special arrangements such as 25% extra time when registering online for skills tests.
When you take the tests you will need to provide proof that you have applied for a teacher training course. The evidence that will be accepted is as follows:
- a welcome letter from a teacher training organisation, for example UCAS Teacher Training or Teach First
- email correspondence from a teacher training organisation
- correspondence from a school or training provider
- a copy of a completed application form
- confirmation of, or an invitation to, an interview from a teacher training organisation, training provider or school
When you're ready, you'll need to book your tests with learndirect using the skills tests booking website
You can also view practice material to help prepare for your tests here: literacy practice material and numeracy practice material