We’re working on a new way to help you get into teaching. Try our beta test site and let us know what you think. Visit our beta site

Information for overseas applicants

A chemistry lesson
If you’re from overseas and want to teach in a world-class education system with great opportunities for career progression, teaching in England could be for you. There’s support available for both qualified and trainee teachers – particularly in physics and maths – so relocating to teach in England may be easier than you think

Already qualified?

If you are qualified to teach in the European Union (EU), Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, you may be able to gain qualified teacher status (QTS) in England without any further training or assessment. Visit GOV.UK to find out more.

The UK’s immigration rules also fully accommodate qualified teachers coming to teach in England from the above non-EU countries. For example, to meet the eligibility criteria for a visa to work in England, you’ll need: 

  • to earn a salary of at least £20,500 – the starting salary for teachers is between £22,023 and £27,543
  • a Certificate of Sponsorship issued to you by your employer – there’s support available to help with this if you apply for a teaching role starting in September 2015 

As a national of a approved English speaking country, you will not be required to provide proof of English language proficiency.

You can apply for a three-year visa - or more than three years depending on the job you have secured – and can stay in the UK on a work visa for up to five years. EU nationals do not require a visa.

Additional support for maths and physics teachers

There’s lots of support available to get more great maths and physics teachers into England’s schools over the next five years. Teachers of these subjects are considered skilled workers  by the Home Office, so obtaining a work visa is easier.

If you register your interest with us, we can help you get in touch with a school looking for a maths or physics teacher from September, and also keep you informed of any available help for visa and travel costs. 

Want to train to teach in England?

Additional points are available for your visa application if you’d like to apply to train to teach physics or maths.

To train to teach in England, you will need to apply for either a study visa or a work visa, depending on whether you choose a salaried or non-salaried course. Get a full overview of the different teacher training courses available in England.

If you are keen to begin training from September 2015, please register with us. We can provide further information on applications and visas. There is also an opportunity to attend an event as part of your application where you will be able to meet representatives from schools. Help with travel costs will also be available.

Talk to us online

Our online advice service is currently closed.

Please return between 8am and 8pm to speak to an adviser.

Speak to someone

Call the Teaching Line.