Complete your training in a school environment.

If you're a graduate and want to complete your training in a school environment, consider school-centred initial teacher training (SCITT).

SCITT programmes are designed and delivered by groups of neighbouring schools and colleges.

Taught by experienced, practising teachers, and often tailored towards local teaching needs, all SCITT courses lead to qualified teacher status (QTS). Many, though not all, will also award you a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) validated by a higher education institution.

If you prefer to spend more time training in the classroom, putting theory into practice and gaining confidence through increased contact with the school environment, then a SCITT programme is a good option for you.

Where can you do SCITT?

There are consortia of schools and colleges running SCITT courses all over England. These groups provide all kinds of SCITT, covering primary, middle years and the full range of secondary subjects.

You will usually be based in one school from the consortium – the 'lead school' – while completing teaching practices at others within the group.

How long does SCITT take?

Courses generally last for one year full-time.

These courses are one academic year running from September to June. Some start earlier; The National SCITT in Outstanding Primary Schools, for example, starts in August.

Is there any additional funding available?

You may be eligible to receive funding while you train for your SCITT. Find out about funding for school-centred teacher training

What qualifications do you need?

You need a UK degree or an equivalent qualification. If your degree or other experience doesn't relate to the subject you want to teach (if primary, that means the core subjects of the national curriculum), you might need to complete a pre-training course to get your knowledge up to the required level.

To train as a teacher, on any programme, you must have demonstrated a standard equivalent to a grade C in GCSE English and mathematics. If you want to teach primary or key stage 2/3 (ages 7-14), you must also have demonstrated a standard equivalent to a grade C in a science GCSE.

How do you apply?

You can apply for SCITT courses and search for a SCITT provider through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) Teacher Training website. Find out more about how to apply

When should you apply?

SCITT courses follow the academic year, so to start your training in September or October you generally need to apply through UCAS Teacher Training during the preceding academic year.