Undergraduate ITT courses

an image of a teacher talking to pupils
If you don't have a degree, you can study for your degree and complete your teacher training at the same time at various universities and colleges in England. Full-time courses usually take three to four years, while part-time courses take four to six years. But if you've got undergraduate credits from previous study, you might be able to complete a course in two years.

Do I qualify?

To train as a teacher on any course, you must have a grade C in English and maths or be able to demonstrate an equivalent standard. If you want to teach primary or key stage 3 (ages 7–14), you must also have a grade C or demonstrate an equivalent in a GCSE science subject.

Entry requirements vary for each course, although a minimum of two A levels or equivalent is usually required. You should check with individual universities for details.

As with all teacher training courses, you will need to pass the literacy and numeracy professional skills tests before you start.

Is there any financial support available?

The financial arrangements for the undergraduate courses work the same way as for all other undergraduate courses. Find out more about funding for undergraduate teacher training

How do I search for courses and apply?

Applications for undergraduate teacher training courses work in the same way to other degree courses. Visit our Choosing a teacher training course page for more information and apply through the UCAS website

Talk to us online

Speak to a Teaching Line adviser live, between 8am and 8pm.

Start a conversation

Find out about School Direct

Find information on the School Direct Training Programme – train while working in a school.

Apply for teacher training

Apply online now for your chosen teacher training course.

Speak to someone

Call the Teaching Line.

Follow us on social media

Follow our social media sites online.