The Troops to Teachers programme is about recruiting the very best former Service personnel (Service leavers) into teaching. The skills and experiences you have gained during your time in the Armed Forces are invaluable, and our education system needs you to bring these to our schools. You could have the potential to become an outstanding teacher.
There will be another Troops to Teachers recruitment round opening in 2015. More details will be available in the New Year. If you would like to find out more about the current scheme, please go to the Troops to Teachers website. As an exceptional Service leaver you'll have a wealth of knowledge and will hold many qualities that you can apply to teaching:
- You'll be a good motivator with a positive can-do attitude: this will help you encourage your pupils in their learning and raise their aspirations
- You can communicate well: you'll be able to give clear and concise instructions
- You're able to handle challenges: you know how to behave in unexpected situations and be a good role model
- You'll have confidence and composure: this will earn you respect in the classroom
- You may have trained other people as part of your role: this requires patience and empathy – important skills for teaching young people
You are classed as an eligible Service leaver if you are in the two years before or the two years after leaving the Armed Forces. You can visit the Career Transition Partnership website to find out more. If you're not an eligible Service leaver, our teacher training options section has information on how you can get into teaching.
If you would like further information or advice about becoming a teacher, you can call the Teaching Line on 0800 389 2500 to speak to one of our dedicated advisers.
Graduate and non-graduate Service leavers can apply for ITT. You'll gain first-hand school experience and you could earn a salary or receive a bursary while you train.
You'll find excellent career progression opportunities as a teacher, and will benefit from a highly competitive salary.