We’re working on a new way to help you get into teaching. Try our beta test site and let us know what you think. Visit our beta site

Routes into teaching

Image of a teacher at the front of the class
The Troops to Teachers programme offers initial teacher training (ITT) routes for both graduate and non-graduate service leavers.

All courses – primary and secondary – lead to qualified teacher status (QTS), which means you'll be able to teach in state-maintained schools in England.

You'll gain school experience on all training routes, but some offer more time in the classroom than others. You might decide an employment-based route is the best option so you can earn a salary while you train. Or alternatively, you may choose a fee-paying path where you could be eligible for a tax-free bursary or a scholarship to help fund your training.

When can I apply for ITT?

You are an eligible service leaver if you are in the two years before or the two years after leaving the Armed Forces. 

At any one time, applications for ITT will only be open for the next programme start date. This means as an eligible service leaver, you'll need to be available from this date under the existing terms of your contract with the Armed Forces, in order to apply for teacher training.

Troops to Teachers non-graduate programme

This new two-year school-based teacher training route leads to a degree qualification with QTS, and you will earn a salary while you train.

Graduate teacher training options

You could earn a salary while you train on an employment-based route, or you may decide on a fee-paying path where you could receive a tax-free bursary to help fund your course.

Talk to us online

Our online advice service is currently closed.

Please return between 8am and 8pm to speak to an adviser.

Find out about School Direct

Find information on the School Direct Training Programme – train while working in a school.

Attend our teaching events

And discover first-hand what it's like to be a teacher and how to become one.

Your skills are in demand

Find out more about teaching a shortage subject such as maths, physics and chemistry.

Speak to someone

Call the Teaching Line.

Follow us on social media

Follow our social media sites online.